Residents Reminded To Clear Vents And Gas Meters

Snow and ice buildup can lead to dangerous buildup of carbon monoxide in homes

The Collingwood Fire Department reminds all residents to clear the snow and ice from vents and natural gas meters.

“A blocked furnace or water heater exhaust vent prevents exhaust from escaping your house, and can lead to a dangerous buildup of carbon monoxide inside your home,” said Fire Chief Ross Parr. “With this recent snowfall and cold weather, we are asking all residents to check every few days to ensure their vents and natural gas meters are clear of snow and ice.”

Chief Parr also reminds residents that all homes with gas-fired appliances, fireplaces, or attached garages are now required by law to have CO detectors installed adjacent to each sleeping area. Residents should make sure that their CO detectors have fresh batteries, which should be changed twice a year along with smoke alarm batteries. Smoke alarm and CO detectors do have an expiry date, and should be replaced after 10 years.

Residents are encouraged to check the vents and natural gas meters of neighbours who may not be able to clear the snowy buildup.

The Town of Collingwood reminds all residents that By-law 2008-156 regulates snow removal and sidewalk clearing in the municipality.

The guidelines in the Snow Removal By-law include:
- Do not place snow or ice onto a sidewalk or roadway;
- Do not place snow or ice onto a boulevard that isn’t adjacent to your property. This includes a restriction on pushing or depositing snow across a roadway.
- Do not allow snow to accumulate on a sidewalk or roadway in a way that will obstruct traffic, the view of traffic, or obstruct in any way the movement of Public Works Department snow clearing equipment.

As well, By-law 03-62 prohibits vehicles from being parked on any street or municipal parking area in the Town of Collingwood between 1:00 AM and 7:00 AM from December 1 until March 31.