Development Pause using an Interim Control By-law (ICBL)

UPDATE re: ICBL Exemption Requests

During the regular meeting of Council held July 19, 2021, 36 Interim Control By-law (ICBL) exemptions were granted to allow construction of 316 Single Dwelling Equivalent Units, using some of the remaining water capacity in Collingwood.

To view the full list of exemptions view Appendix C of Staff Report: CAO2021-10 Interim Control By-law No. 2021-024 – Evaluation of Exemption Requests

Next Steps:

  • For those developments and individuals who have been granted exemptions from the ICBL, your application can continue through the Planning process and building permits may be issued. Please contact the Planning Department should you have any questions.
  • For those developments and individuals who have not been granted exemptions from the ICBL, your planning application will continue to be processed and reviewed, however planning decisions from Council will not be made unless a future exemption is granted or until the completion of ICBL or the completion of the Planning Study. Please contact the Planning Department should you have any questions.


Exemption Application Process now closed

***NEW*** Now Accepting ICBL Exemption Requests 

At the Special Council meeting held June 3, 2021 Collingwood Town Council approved Staff Report CAO2021-07 Interim Control By-law No. 2021-024 - Exemptions and Procedure for Receipt and Evaluation of Exemption Requests

Who should apply for an exemption:

Anyone that is planning to develop or construct a building in the Town of Collingwood before April 2022 who has not yet received a building permit and is changing the use of a property or requires water services supplied by the Town should submit an Exemption Request Form. This includes, but is not limited to, the following types of construction:

• Construction of individual homes, including individual infill lots

• New accessory apartments within a home

• New subdivisions, or sections of subdivisions waiting to be built

• Commercial development, including the addition of units within a commercial development not yet built

• Industrial development, including the addition of units within a commercial development not yet built

If you are not sure if you need to apply for an exemption, please email or call 705-445-1030 ext. 3243.

If you have any questions or concerns when completing the request form, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Clerk Services at

Exemption Request Form

The steps of this process are as follows:
  1. Applicant fills out the prescribed Exemption form available on and submits the form to the Town Clerk;
  2. Requests are received by Council and referred to the CAO for review by senior management and the Town solicitor; and
  3. Requests which are deemed to be eligible for possible ICBL exemptions are identified and, where applicable, performance conditions (such as the use of the water by a set date) or other terms are recommended in a staff report prepared for Council’s consideration.
  4. All request forms are to be submitted to by no later than June 18, 2021, to be considered by the Strategic Initiatives Standing Committee on July 5, 2021, and Council on July 19, 2021. 

At the Council meeting held April 26, 2021 Collingwood Town Council approved Staff Report P2021-12 Interim Control By-law & Land Use Planning Policy Study and associated Interim Control Bylaw (ICBL) BL2021-024, applicable to all lands within the Town of Collingwood.

Why was this Recommended?

Collingwood has a significant water capacity issue, while facing significant development growth. An Environmental Assessment has been completed for the expansion of the Water Treatment Plant, however the build will not be completed until 2025. By implementing the ICBL, this pause in development will enable us to determine the best ways to continue to build and support the best community possible in line with our Official Plan and Strategic Plan.

Collingwood’s ICBL generally restricts development that does not already have a building permit, however, work that does not use more water such as most residential renovations can continue. There are exemptions for construction, alteration and expansion projects such as decks, patios, fences, porches, accessory buildings or structures, temporary buildings or structures, and interior or exterior renovations to an existing building.

The Town is committed to rapidly developing a Land Use Planning Policy Study and implementing the outcomes as quickly as possible to limit negative impacts on development that represents a priority interest for the community.

What is an ICBL?

An ICBL is a tool provided by the Ontario Planning Act that effectively allows a municipality to halt development while it manages an identified issue.

Next Steps

  • The Chief Administrative Officer has been authorized to retain qualified consulting services as required including by non-standard procurement as may be deemed necessary in regard to the timely completion of the Land Use Planning Policy Study. 
  • The Consultant will carry out a Land Use Planning Policy Study including, but not limited to, the consideration of:  any required changes to the Town’s land use planning policies and/or regulatory framework resulting from water and wastewater servicing capacity limitations; and the implications of water and wastewater servicing constraints for growth management, servicing implementation and any other impacted policies within the Official Plan and as related to the Town’s land use planning policies and regulatory framework.

Stakeholder Engagement

  • Council has provided direction to staff to specifically pursue insight from the development community that may expedite resolutions of identified planning issues caused by the water capacity challenges and potential exemptions to allow projects that are important to the community to continue. Check back to this page for updates.
  • Council gave direction to staff to engage the engineering community to provide any expertise that might identify possible opportunities for capacity release in the near term. Check back to this page for updates.

Public Engagement

  • Members of the public, stakeholders and stakeholder representatives are welcome to provide comments and ask questions on our public engagement portal:

Engage Collingwood 

Planning Services (Developments and Land Use Planning) 

Building Services (Building Permit Applications) 

Environmental Services (Water Capacity)