All new construction in Collingwood shall have an inspection done by Town Building Officials. Buildings must meet the minimum health and safety requirements of the Ontario Building Code, the Building Code Act, the Building By-law and other applicable law and standards. Staff also do special investigations of illegal construction and unsafe buildings.
The following is a list of typical projects that require inspection:
- All commercial, industrial and institutional projects
- All commercial and industrial tenant projects
- All housing projects, including additions and renovations
- Change of Use projects
- Life safety systems
- On-site sewage systems
- Public swimming pool construction
- Commercial kitchen exhaust systems and the fire suppression system
- Spray booth exhaust systems and the fire suppression system
- Dust collection systems
A Building Inspector will be required to review your project in several stages during construction. These stages are typically listed as required inspections on the reviewed permit drawings issued with your building permit. When conducting the mandatory inspections, building inspectors must be able to see that part of work under inspection. Any building elements covered before the related mandatory inspection has been made must be uncovered for inspection and passed before the completion of the project.
Typical Inspection Stages
Excavation: Prior to pouring concrete. All formwork and re-bar (as applicable) to be in place.
Foundation/Slab Reinforcement: Prior to pouring concrete.
- Re-bar placement for ICF
- Required reinforcement for foundation walls
- Re-bar in suspended "cold room" slabs
Foundation/Backfill: Prior to backfilling.
- Foundation to be completed
- Dampproofing/waterproofing complete;
- Drainage layer complete; and
- Weeping tile with proper stone coverage complete.
Water & Sanitary Sewer Drainage Pipe: Prior to backfilling.
- Water service pipes complete and under test at mininimum 50 psi
- Sanitary sewer pipe complete and under test with five psi air or filled with water
- A ball test may be requested by the Building Inspector
On-Site Sewage (Septic System): Prior to backfilling.
- Substantial completion of distribution pipes and septic tank.
- A copy of the soil analysis or imported material analysis must be provided to the Building Inspector at this time.
In-Floor Plumbing: Prior to pouring concrete. Plumbing roughed-in, capped and under test:
- Air test at five psi; or
- Water test with a minimum 10'-0" of pressure head
Masonry/Factory Built Wood Burning Fireplace: Prior to covering.
- Fireplace, fire stops and chimney flue installed.
- Manufacturer specifications shall be on site.
- NOTE: WETT certification shall be provided for all wood burning appliances.
Above Ground Plumbing: All drains, wastes and vents complete and under test
- Air test at five psi; or
- Water test with a minimum 10'-0' of pressure head
Water Distribution System (within Building):
Water pipes complete and under a minimum 102 psi air test.
Framing: Framing to be complete.
- Request inspection after installation of roof/shingles, windows, plumbing, HVAC and electrical.
Air Barrier System: An approved air barrier system shall be continuous and completely sealed throughout the entire building envelope. Generally completed during the framing and/or insulation inspection.
HVAC: General overview - following completion of framing.
Fire Separations: If applicable, completion of all required fire stopping of penetrations and party walls complete.
Insulation and Vapour Barrier: Prior to installation of finishes and drywall. All framing deficiencies noted must be completed.
Occupancy: All minimum Building Code items for occupancy completed.
No occupancy permitted until Occupancy Permit issued.
Final: All exterior grading completed and certification received; all building code items at time of occupancy completed.
2 Business Day Notice Requirement: Building Services require a minimum of two business days to schedule a building inspection as mandated by the Ontario Building Code.
The time frame from which notice is given begins on the following business day that an inspection notice is received and does not include, Saturdays, Sundays or holidays and/or days the Building Services’ office is closed.
The following information shall be provided when requesting an inspection:
- The building permit number
- Project site location such as lot number or address
- Type of inspection
- The date of the inspection(s)
- Desired timeframe (morning or afternoon)
- Names and telephone numbers of the builder and site superintendent
To arrange an inspection, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Occupational Health and Safety Act sets out the rights and duties of all parties in the workplace in order to protect workers against health and safety hazards on the job. The Act establishes procedures for dealing with workplace hazards, and it provides for enforcement of the law where compliance has not been achieved voluntarily.
Please ensure a safe site is maintained in accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act for our Building Inspectors at all times.
- Building Inspectors shall refuse inspection services to any unsafe site.
- Projects which are refused inspection service(s) due to unsafe site conditions may be automatically charged a re-inspection fee. Note that construction shall not proceed until authorized by the required inspection.
Where an Inspector determines that work for the stage of construction that has been requested to be inspected is not substantially complete, is not ready for an inspection or where previous infractions have not been corrected, a minimum fee of $103.30 shall be payable prior to any further inspections related to that stage of construction being scheduled.
Construction noise is regulated under Town By-law No. 2018-032
Homeowner construction equipment noise permitted:
Monday to Friday 7AM to 7PM,
Saturday and Sunday 8AM to 6PM
Holidays 8AM to 6PM
Contractor construction equipment noise permitted:
Monday to Friday 7AM to 7PM,
Saturdays 8AM to 4PM
Sundays and Holidays Prohibited
Construction equipment noise from “site alteration” activities on “active development” sites permitted:
Monday to Friday 7AM to 7PM
Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays Prohibited