AGCO & Compliance Letters
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) regulates the sale, service and consumption of beverage alcohol in the province.
There are two types of liquor licences established by the AGCO:
- A new liquor license for a permanent establishment such as a restaurant or retail store;
- A Special Occasion Permit, which is for a special, one-time event.
As part of the AGCO's process for obtaining a Liquor Sales Licence, a Municipal Information form must be submitted to the Town Clerk's Office to be reviewed and signed. In order to obtain a Special Occasion Permit for an outdoor event, notice must be provided to the Clerk's Office of the local municipality at least 30 days prior to the event.
The Town of Collingwood has established review processes for Liquor Sales Licence and Special Occasion Permit applications outlined above. Upon review, the Town will determine if there are any objections to the issuance of a Liquor Sales License or Special Occasion Permit. The Town's comments will be forwarded to the AGCO.
Three municipal agency letters of approval (also known as “compliance letters”) are required from applicants as part of their liquor licence application:
- Building Department (Building Code Act, 1992)
- Fire Protection Officer or Fire Marshal (Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997)
- Public Health Department (Health Protection and Promotion Act)
Further to the above, where the AGCO requires a municipal agency letter of approval, please submit the completed form to email@example.com for comment on Building Code and occupancy compliance. You will need to contact the Fire Department and the Health Unit individually.
Building Services provides compliance letter service for confirmation of:
- Active building permits issued pursuant to the Building Code Act
- Oustanding inspections under an active building permit
- Issuance of Occupancy Permit
- Outstanding Building Code Act Orders
Compliance Letter Type
AGCO Agency Letter: Active Building Permit
AGCO Agency Letter: No Active Building Permit
Building Permit Compliance Letter
Private On-Site Sewage System Compliance Letter
Updated February 2, 2021