The information below has been provided to assist in summarizing the typical requirements to obtain a building permit for interior alterations within a residential building in the Town of Collingwood. Additional information may be required depending on the application type and individual circumstances.
Drawings that are prepared by a qualified designer (as defined in the Ontario Building Code) must include:
- The qualified designer’s name
- The qualified designer’s registration number
- The qualification identification number of the qualified designer (Building Code Identification Number: BCIN)
- The qualified designer's signature
- The stamp or statement that the qualified designer has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities
Note: Property owners may prepare and submit drawings that follow the requirements outlined in the “drawing and specifications” section below.
This is the standard building permit application form for all building permits.
This form is to be used only where the Owner is not the Applicant.
This checklist summarizes the most common approvals required
- Floor plan (one per floor & include framing details)
- LVL beam designs
- Heat loss / heat gain calculations and furnace make/model and duct design layout where applicable
In many instances before a building permit application can be processed and a permit issued, there are approvals from other agencies that may be required. These approvals are not administered by Building Services. Please ensure all required approvals are complete prior to submitting your application using the Applicable Law Checklist.
Building Permit Fee: $0.52/ft2
Minimum Permit Fee: $129.13
- Submit the complete permit application and all supporting documents using the e-Permit Service. An automatic email will be sent to you once you submit the e-Permit application.
- Staff will complete a pre-screen of the application to review for completeness, compliance with the Building Code and Applicable Law. A status update will be sent via email within mandated timelines.
- Application review comments are provided during review to identify any outstanding requirements and to summarize permit fees.
- Permit issued when review is complete and all fees are paid.
The Ontario Building Code turnaround timeframes for the first review of a complete application:
Complete Applications 10 Business Days
Incomplete Applications >15 Business Days
Please DO NOT include any personal information on your Building Plans (e.g., the homeowner’s name or phone number). Building Plans submitted for Permit are subject to disclosure in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).