Canopy | Community Greening Project
About Bees & Trees
The Town of Collingwood is pleased to offer Canopy Collingwood again for a second year in a row and the program has expanded from trees to bees. New this year, the program has grown to include residential pollinator gardens that increase pollinator habitats and access to food. Collingwood residents will be provided a financial incentive in the form of a rebate on the purchase of up to two trees from a recognized nursery or garden centre operation, or the materials required to establish a pollinator garden on private property. Trees and pollinator plants native to the Collingwood area are preferred for this program, however not mandatory for the rebate. Collingwood residents who purchased a tree(s) or plant materials will be eligible to receive 50% of the cost (before delivery charges and taxes) in the form of a rebate from the Town. The maximum rebate per tree amount is $150 each tree (maximum 2). The rebate for a pollinator garden is also 50% of the cost to a maximum of $150 with one rebate per property. Thank you to everyone who participated in Canopy Collingwood Residential Backyard tree program 2021 Phase 1 & Phase 2. Together we planted over 250 trees in our community! (Please note that condominium corporations are able to acquire subsidy for up to six trees or one pollinator garden per corporation) Applications for Spring planting will be accepted until Monday July 4th. All rebate cheques will be mailed out after the program closes.
Residential Tree Rebate
Collingwood residents who purchased a tree(s) will be eligible to receive 50% of the cost (before charges and taxes) in the form of a rebate from the Town. The maximum rebate per tree amount is $150 per tree. For example, the purchase of a $100 tree will allow the purchaser to receive a $50 rebate. Purchasing a $350 tree will allow the purchaser to receive a $150 rebate. The purchase excludes any taxes and other charges.
NEW Pollinator Garden Rebate
Collingwood residents who purchase pollinator plants, soil and mulch will be eligible to receive 50% of the cost (before charges and taxes) up to $150 per property in the form of a rebate from the Town. For example, the purchase of a $100 in plant material, soil and mulch will allow the purchaser to receive a $50 rebate. Purchasing $350 in plant material, soil and mulch will allow the purchaser to receive a $150 rebate. The purchase excludes any taxes and other charges.
- Required documents include online application form, copy of receipt(s), picture of planted trees and/or pollinator garden(s) and landlord authorization if required
- Program applies to Collingwood residents for planting on private property within the Town of Collingwood
- Condo residents may apply for the rebate if they have written authorization from their Condo Board
- Application and required documents will be submitted online through the online application
- Rebate cheques will be mailed out after the program closes for Spring planting
- Eligibility for Condominium Corporations rebate is 6 trees per Condo Corp and/or 1 pollinator garden per Condo Corp
- The tree(s)/ garden(s) will be the sole responsibility of the resident or Condo Corp
- Eligibility for residents is 2 trees per property or 1 pollinator garden per property
- You MUST contact Ontario One Call prior to digging and planting 1-800-400-2255 or visit their website for more details
- No refunds will be issued for the rebate program
- Be sure to check out the native tree list and Pollinate Collingwood website for great advice and suggestions (located on Getting Started tab)
Identify the area in your backyard that you would like to plant a tree with ample space for growth (minimum 5ft away from any other tree, fence, shed, walkway, buildings). For pollinator gardens consider if the garden will be in the sun or shade and the size the garden will be.
Below are some helpful resources to help guide you in making your decision
- Visit The Tree Atlas to learn which trees are native to Ontario and the best species to plant where you live
- Visit Pollinate Collingwood to discover, plan, or join this community-led grassroots initiative
What to Plant?
Review the Preferred Native Tree List and/or the Pollinator Native Plants of Ontario best suited for the location.
Purchase Your Tree
Purchase your tree(s), pollinator plants from a registered nursery or garden centre operation and ensure that the following information is on a receipt:
- Item Name
- Date of Purchase
- Nursery/Garden Centre Name
Dial Before You Dig
Call Ontario One Call 1-800-400-2255 before you dig.
Take A Picture
Snap a photo with your newly planted green friend.
Apply For Rebate
Select applicable :
• Residential Tree Rebate • Condo Corp Rebate
*Data based on annual average of mature trees.