Accessibility Advisory Committee
The role of the Accessibility Advisory Committee is to provide advice to the municipal government on a wide range of municipal processes to help make public services and facilities accessible to everyone.
Responsibilities: The three main activities of an accessibility advisory committee are to:
1. Advise municipal council about:
- the requirements and implementation of accessibility standards;
- the preparation of accessibility reports; and
- other matters for which the council may seek its advice.
2. Review site plans and drawings described in section 41 of the Planning Act.
3. Perform all other functions that are specified in the regulations.
For more information on what's involved in being a member of an Accessibility Advisory Committee check out the Guide to serving on a Municipal Accessibility Advisory Committee issued by the Government of Ontario located on the Municipal Accessibility Advisory Committees website under Role of the Committee.
Membership: The Accessibility Advisory Committee is comprised of seven (7) voting members, all of which are citizen members appointed by Council. A majority of the members are required to be persons with disabilities as required by legislation.
Key Qualifications & Eligibility Requirements of Citizen Members include:
- eligible to vote in the Town of Collingwood municipal election;
- should representskill sets and/or interest in the following areas: youth, adults, seniors, persons with disabilities, keen awareness of accessibility issues, expertise in construction or design of public spaces;
- demonstrated leadership (mandatory for chair); and
- good communication skills, demonstrate initiative, and positive attitude.
Current Committee Membership:
Margaret Adolphe (Chair)
Heather Grasman (Vice-chair)
Staff Resources: Sara Almas, Clerk and Stefanie Hochrein, Recording Secretary
Meetings: The Accessibility Advisory Committee meetings are generally held once a month in Community Room "A" at the Collingwood Public Library, 55 Ste. Marie Street or at the call of the Chair, with the provision that at least four meetings be held per year. A regular meeting schedule is established each year which may be reviewed from time to time.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, committee meetings will be held by Zoom webinar rather than in person for the foreseeable future. Links to join each webinar can be found on the corresponding agenda on the Town's Meeting Portal website.
Need more information? Contact:
Clerk Services - Town of Collingwood
P.O. Box 157, 97 Hurontario Street
Collingwood, ON L9Y 3Z5
T. 705-445-1030 E.3225 | firstname.lastname@example.org