Committee of Adjustment/Property Standards
The Committee of Adjustment/Property Standards Committee is a quasi judicial body and hears Applications for "Minor Variances" - where a requirement of a Zoning By-law cannot be met (under Section 45 of the Planning Act) and when necessary, reports to the Development and Operations Services Standing Committee. This includes applications, which deal with the enlargement or extension of a building or structure that is legally non-conforming, or for a change in non-conforming use; and further to hear Applications for Consent to "Sever" a property or for any agreement, mortgage or lease that extends for 21 years or more (under Section 53 of the Planning Act).
As a Property Standards Appeal Committee, if an owner or occupant upon whom an order has been served is not satisfied with the terms or conditions of the order may appeal to the committee by sending a NOTICE OF APPEAL. The Committee shall conduct a hearing and make a decision with respect to the order.
The applications are heard at a Public Meeting in Community Room "B" on the 3rd Floor of the Public Library located at 55 Ste. Marie Street. If no applications are received, the meeting will not be held. The meeting schedule can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
Composition of Committee
The Committee of Adjustment/Property Standards Committee is comprised of five (5) voting members. Citizen members are appointed in accordance with the corporate policy known as “Recruitment and Selection – Committee/Local Committee Appointments”.
Non-voting members include:
- Committee Secretary-Treasurer
- Director of Planning, or designate
- By-law Enforcement Officer, or designate as may be required
- Clerk, as may be required
Key Qualifications & Eligibility Requirements of Citizen Members include:
- Must be eligible to vote in the Town of Collingwood municipal election;
- Citizen members should represent a following skill sets and/or interest areas: interest and understanding of the complexities and challenges of building;have knowledge in one or more areas of: law, planning, architecture, government, economic development, community development, land development, or citizen advocacy, but not act as an agent for applicants before the Committee of Adjustment;
- Demonstrate decision-making, communication, and mediation skills to facilitate an open and fair hearing process; and
- Demonstrate leadership (mandatory for chair).
|Committee of Adjustment||Secretary Treasurer|
|Joann Bowden||Robin Shugan – Planning Technician|
For any information regarding the above kindly contact our Secretary-Treasurer, Robin Shugan, Planning Services at 705-445-1290, Extention 3259 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Our offices are located at 55 Ste. Marie Street, Unit 302, Collingwood, ON. L9Y 0W6 and we are open between the hours of 8:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.
Comments: The comments above are made to the best of our knowledge using all of the information and resources available at the posting time. The information contained herein is believed to be correct, however, the Town assumes no liability for negligence, inaccuracies or omissions. You are welcome to make a personal examination of the applicable information at Planning Services located at 55 Ste. Marie Street, Unit 302, Collingwood, Ontario.
Planning Act: Individuals who make written submissions with respect to a Planning Act application should be aware that their submission and any personal information in their correspondence will become part of the public record and made available to the Applicant, Committee and Council.