Aquafit Instructor (Part-Time)
Hours of work:
Normal hours will vary and may be from no hours up to twenty-four (24) hours per week, dependent upon the programming schedule, and may include early morning, day, evening, weekend or holidays; flexibility in scheduling is necessary as there may be the occasional requirement to attend to functions outside of normal work hours, change shifts, or to work extra hours as needed.
Reporting to the Recreation Services Manager, Aquafit Instructors are responsible to provide quality water fitness classes (e.g., aquafit, yoga, aquatherapy, pool circuits, etc.). The position works with lifeguard staff to ensure a safe exercise environment. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of aquatic fitness instruction, class preparation, and class supervision.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Diploma in Fitness/Recreation or related discipline.
- Group fitness certificate from reputable organization (e.g., YMCA, CAN Fit Pro, NCCP coaching certificate)
- Completion of Aquafit training through YMCA, WaterArt, CALA or other related courses.
- Experience teaching water classes such as Aquafit. Certification and/or experience in lifeguarding an asset.
- Ability to observe/assess participant behaviours, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Familiarity with the Public Pools Regulation, applicable safety regulations, departmental policies, procedures and standards.
- Good administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Physically capable of performing aquafit duties and wearing any applicable personal protective equipment related to the position and/or facility.
- Possess a current Vulnerable Sector Check with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).