Assistant, Public Services (Full-Time) – Collingwood Public Library
Job type: Permanent Full-Time
Reporting to the Supervisor, Public Services, the Assistant, Public Services contributes to the overall effectiveness of the Library, primarily responsible for circulation and public services desk activities. The position is responsible for managing overdue and lost materials and provides assistance to the Supervisor with scheduling, training, and guidance to public services staff in customer service delivery and interlibrary loans. The position provides coverage and support to the public services desk, the teen desk, and the children’s desk as scheduled. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of overdue and lost materials, inter-library loans administration, administrative support, circulation, public services, and general library support.
Experience and Qualifications:
- OSSD plus one (1) year of customer service or business related service required. Library related education or equivalent preferred or willingness to pursue same.
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office applications, Integrated Library System (ILS), and office equipment (including cash register, debit machine, fax machine, photocopier, laminator); comprehension of library functions and activities.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving, time management and communication skills; together with the ability to multi-task. Possess the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the general public, all staff, other government/agencies/contractors and community groups.
- Ability to demonstrate tact and discretion in handling matters of a confidential nature, and to maintain confidentiality. Familiarity with the Municipal Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act. Ability to cope with a high level of interruptions, exercise discretion and good judgment.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the community and out of town as required.
- Possess a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).