Collection Assistant, Library (Student)
Reporting to the Manager, Library & Reference Services, Library Collection Assistants shelve books/materials and perform shelf reading to maintain the order and neatness of collections housed on library shelves, keeping shelves in good order and making it easier for staff and patrons to find and use materials. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of shelving, shelf reading, collection maintenance, and customer service support.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Completion of a minimum of one (1) year of secondary education.
- One (1) month of related experience in customer service and library shelving.
- Detail oriented with the ability to read and alphabetize library materials according to established library procedures (Dewey Decimal and other library filing systems).
- Good administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment particularly when handling highly confidential/sensitive information. Possess initiative and integrity.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications and office equipment.
- Possess a current Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).