Community Planner (Contract)
Community Planner (Contract)
Job ID#: 2023-33
Job Title: Community Planner
Date Posted: May 19, 2023
Closing Date: June 5, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
Job Type: Contract Full-Time
Division: Planning Services
Pay Range: $73,983.00 to $89,889.80 ($40.65 to $49.39 per hour)
Work Period: August 2023 to August 2024
Hours of Work: Normal hours of work are thirty-five (35) hours per week, usually Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a one (1) hour unpaid meal break. Flexibility in scheduling is necessary as there may be the occasional requirement to attend to functions outside of normal work hours, change shifts to work evenings or weekends to accommodate high volume periods or for after-hours customer service initiatives, or to work extra hours as needed.
Work Location: This position may be considered suitable for a hybrid work arrangement (a combination of on-site and remote work) after the probationary period.
Are you looking for a change? Why not consider working for the Town of Collingwood! Working for the Town will provide you with meaningful work and the opportunity to make a difference helping to build and improve the community. As an employee of the Town of Collingwood you will have the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally, gaining valuable skills and professional work experience.
Community Planners are responsible for providing planning advice related to the full range of Planning Act development applications, land use and community planning matters. The position acts as a project manager; leads and works as part of an interdepartmental and interagency team in the review of development applications and corporate and policy initiatives; prepares planning reports for development applications; researches and prepares policy and community planning recommendations reflective of best practices and aligned with corporative strategic objectives; and professionally represents the Town as an expert witness before the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT) and other legal proceedings. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of: development review; research, analysis and policy project work; other division functions; and, OLT and other quasi-judicial proceedings.
The preferred candidate possesses the following:
Experience and Qualifications:
- Degree in Urban Planning, Environmental Studies, or related discipline
- Full or provisional membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Ontario Professional Planners Institute.
- Five (5) years of progressive experience dealing with a wide range of complex planning applications, stakeholders, and implementation scenarios.
- Experience in land use planning/municipal planning in the public sector or equivalent private sector experience on behalf of developers/builders (e.g., planning support for development proposals, project management, etc.).
- Excellent analytical, report writing, communication, presentation, organizational, interpersonal skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment particularly when handling highly confidential/sensitive information. Possess a high level of initiative and personal integrity.
- Thorough working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications, database management, and office equipment. Knowledge of GIS mapping, Cityview, AutoCad, Adobe software or applications, and web publishing tools an asset.
- Valid Class “G” driver’s license and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business. Ability and willingness to travel within the community as required.
- Possess a current Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).
We welcome you to submit your application for consideration and be part of the Town of Collingwood Team! To apply to this position, submit your cover letter and resume in Word or Adobe (pdf) format quoting the job # listed in the posting to email@example.com. In the event you require an alternate method of submitting your application, please contact the Customer Services team by calling 705-445-1030. For more information on this position, please review the attached job description below.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicant Information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only for candidate selection. As an equal opportunity employer, the Town of Collingwood abides by all current legislation relating to individuals’ rights to employment under the Human Rights Code and Accessibility Standards.
The Town of Collingwood is committed to making our interview process fully accessible for people of all abilities. Accommodations will be provided upon request, to support candidates’ participation in all aspects of the recruitment process. If you are selected for an interview, please let us know if you require an accessibility accommodation.