Coordinator, Youth Services – Library (Full-Time)
Reporting to the Supervisor, Acquisitions & Programming, the Coordinator, Youth Services provides library services to teens (typically ages 13 to 18) and new adults (typically ages 19 to 30) by designing and implementing creative and relevant programs and services. The position works to create a bridge to and among youth community organizations, reinforcing the library’s role as a safe place youth can participate in programs, discussions and access resources. The Coordinator is responsible for the acquisition, cataloguing and maintenance of a timely young adult collection that encourages reading, viewing, listening and use of library materials, programs and facilities. The position provides library information, ready reference and customer service, while promoting and supporting library services and events. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of programming, outreach, crisis support, collection development and maintenance, cataloguing and processing, and general library support.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Diploma in Library and Information Technology or related discipline.
- Mental Health First Aid and/or ASIST training an asset.
- One (1) year of creative and constructive programming experience with teens and children, as well as in advocacy or community engagement, preferably in a library setting.
- Ability to calmly and sensitively manage high stress situations.
- Excellent administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment particularly when handling highly confidential/sensitive information. Possess a high degree of initiative and personal integrity.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications, Integrated Library Systems, internet, database management software, and office equipment.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the community and out of town as required.
- Possess a current Vulnerable Sector Check with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).