Engineering Technician (Full-Time)
Hours of work: 40 hours per week; flexibility in scheduling is necessary as there may be the occasional requirement to attend to functions outside of normal work hours, respond to urgent matters, change shifts to work evenings or weekends to accommodate high volume periods or for after-hours customer service initiatives, or to work overtime as needed.
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering, the Engineering Technician is responsible to assist in administering the Town’s policies relating to active transportation, lot grading inspections, and reviewing proposed public utility installation plans. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of active transportation, lot grading, utility applications/municipal consents, streetlighting, storm water facility administration, GIS updates, and general inquiries.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering or related discipline.
- Possession of an Engineering designation (e.g., CET or C. Tech)
- Three (3) years’ experience in municipal engineering (private consulting or municipal environment) and experience in construction inspection. Physical ability to perform required activities and wear required personal protective equipment.
- Detailed knowledge of municipal servicing, stormwater management, traffic and transportation, lot grading, and public utilities.
- Knowledge of various standards regarding active transportation and Ontario Traffic Manuals, Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, etc.
- Excellent administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment particularly when handling highly confidential/sensitive information. Possess a high level of initiative and personal integrity.
- Thorough knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications, database management, and office equipment. Knowledge of ArcGIS an asset.
- Valid Class “G” driver’s license and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business. Ability and willingness to travel within the community as required.
- Possess a current Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).