General Labourer, Parks (25 Seasonal)
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work are forty (40) hours per week on a rotating shift schedule – staff will rotate through the shift schedule which will include day (Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), evening (Monday through Friday, 3:00 to 11:30 p.m.) and weekend (Friday through Monday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) shifts; flexibility in scheduling is necessary with the occasional requirement to change shifts and/or work extra hours as required.
Reporting to the Parks Supervisor, Parks Labourers are responsible for performing maintenance to municipal parks, trails, harbour, sport fields, gardens, open spaces, parking lots, and Town owned property/facilities, and to assist with special events logistics. This includes, but is not limited to, grass cutting, trimming, sport field lining, garbage collection, janitorial duties, harbour operations, gardening, tree pruning and inspections. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of grounds maintenance and landscaping, and special events support.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Completion of a minimum of one (1) year of secondary education.
- Three (3) months of grounds maintenance experience.
- Ability to maintain parks and trails in a neat and orderly manner, understand and apply standard operating procedures. Experience operating pick-up trucks, trailers, riding lawn mowers, trimmers, leaf blowers, and various power/hand tools preferred.
- Good administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment. Possess initiative and integrity.
- Physically capable of performing the required functions of the position (e.g., standing, walking, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.), operating equipment, working outdoors in inclement weather, and wearing the applicable personal protective equipment.
- Willing and available to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Valid Class “G” driver’s license and current Driver’s Abstract with results satisfactory to the Employer. Ability and willingness to travel within the community as required.
- Possess a current Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).