General Labourer, Parks (26 Seasonal)
General Labourer, Parks (26 Seasonal)
Job ID#: 2023-02
Job Title: General Labourer, Parks
Date Posted: January 20, 2023
Closing Date: February 6, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
Job Type: Full-Time Seasonal
Department: Parks, Recreation & Culture – Parks Division
Pay Range: $16.97 to $17.82 per hour (2022 rate)
Hours of Work: Normal hours of work are up to forty (40) hours per week, and shifts may include days, evenings, weekends and holidays – staff will be assigned to one of the following shifts:
- day (Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.);
- evening (Monday through Friday, 3:00 to 11:30 p.m.); or,
- weekend (Friday through Monday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.).
Flexibility in scheduling is necessary with the occasional requirement to change shifts and/or work extra hours as required.
Work Period: April to October 2023
Looking for a summer job? Why not consider working for the Town of Collingwood! Working for the Town can be a fun and rewarding experience with opportunities to grow both personally and professionally, gaining valuable skills and work experience.
If you enjoy the outdoors, become a General Labourer this summer, and take part in helping to preserve, protect, and develop Collingwood’s parks, trails, and open spaces. Be an integral part of maintaining our community & neighborhood parks, open spaces, playgrounds, and waterfront.
Parks Labourers are responsible for performing maintenance to municipal parks, trails, harbour, sport fields, gardens, open spaces, parking lots, and Town owned property/facilities, and to assist with special events logistics. This includes, but is not limited to, grass cutting, trimming, sport field lining, garbage collection, janitorial duties, harbour operations, gardening, tree pruning and inspections. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of grounds maintenance and landscaping, and special events support.
The preferred candidate possesses the following:
Experience and Qualifications:
- Completion of a minimum of one (1) year of secondary education.
- Three (3) months of grounds maintenance experience.
- Ability to maintain parks and trails in a neat and orderly manner and understand and apply standard operating procedures. Experience operating pickup trucks, trailers, riding lawn mowers, trimmers, leaf blowers, and various power/hand tools preferred.
- Good administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment. Possess initiative and integrity.
- Physically capable of performing the required functions of the position (e.g., standing, walking, lifting, pushing, pulling), operating equipment, working outdoors in inclement weather, and wearing the applicable personal protective equipment.
- Willing and available to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Valid Class “G” driver’s license and current Driver’s Abstract with results satisfactory to the Employer. Ability and willingness to travel within the community as required.
- Possess a current Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).
We welcome you to submit your application for consideration and be part of the Town of Collingwood Team! To apply to this position, submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the Job # listed above. In the event you require an alternate method of submitting your application, please contact the Customer Service team by calling 705-445-1030. For more information on this position, please review the attached job description below.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicant Information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only for candidate selection. As an equal opportunity employer, The Town of Collingwood abides by all current legislation relating to individuals’ rights to employment under the Human Rights Code and Accessibility Standards.
The Town of Collingwood is committed to making our interview process fully accessible for people of all abilities. Accommodations will be provided upon request, to support candidates’ participation in all aspects of the recruitment process. If you are selected for an interview, please let us know if you require an accessibility accommodation.