Job ID#: 2023-23
Job Title: Lifeguard/Instructor
Date Posted: March 27, 2023
Closing Date: Applications will be reviewed as submitted until all vacancies are filled
Job Type: Permanent Part-Time
Department: PRC - Recreation Services
Pay Range: $17.31 per hour
Hours of Work: Normal hours will vary and range up to twenty-four (24) hours per week, dependent upon the programming schedule, and may include early morning, day, evening, weekend or holidays. Flexibility in scheduling is necessary as there may be the occasional requirement to attend to functions outside of normal work hours, change shifts, or to work extra hours as needed.
Lifeguard/Instructors are more than great swimmers – they are water rescue professionals continuously training in emergency care. They prevent accidents and educate the public about the hazards and risks associated with aquatic activities and how to be safe around water.
Do you want to be a Lifeguard/Instructor? Why not consider working for the Town of Collingwood! Working for the Town can be a fun and rewarding experience with opportunities to grow both personally and professionally, gaining valuable skills and work experience. Candidates that possess NLS certification and are willing to obtain Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor and/or Lifesaving Society Lifesaving Instructor within the first three (3) months of employment are encouraged to apply!
Reporting to the Recreation Services Manager, Lifeguard/Instructors are responsible for monitoring the activities of swimmers in the pool and on the deck to prevent accidents as mandated by the Lifesaving Society of Ontario. Lifeguard/instructors provide assistance in the event of emergencies and participate in staff training sessions. Main duties and responsibilities are in the area of lifeguard functions, instruction, other pool functions, and maintenance functions.
Experienced Lifeguard/Instructors may be trained to become Head Lifeguard/Instructors who assist in the preparation, execution, and supervision of all aquatic-related programs. In the absence of the Manager, Aquatics Coordinator and Senior Lifeguard/Instructor, the Head Lifeguard/Instructor is responsible for the direct supervision of the aquatics team. The Head Lifeguard/Instructor will also perform regular lifeguarding and instructional duties. Main duties and responsibilities are in the areas of lifeguard functions, instruction, other pool functions and maintenance functions.
The preferred candidate possesses the following:
Experience and Qualifications:
- Completion of a minimum of one (1) year of secondary education.
- Current Lifesaving National Lifeguard Pool, Swim Instructors, Lifesaving Instructor and Emergency First Aid Instructor. Certified High Five PHCD an asset.
- Ability to observe/assess participant behaviours, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behaviour-management techniques. Previous leadership experience working with children an asset.
- Knowledge of the Public Pools Regulation and applicable safety regulations. Ability to maintain pool and surrounding areas in a neat and orderly manner.
- Good administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment particularly when handling highly confidential/sensitive information. Possess initiative and integrity.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications and office equipment.
- Physically capable of performing lifeguard/instructor duties and wearing the applicable personal protective equipment.
- Possess a current Vulnerable Sector Check with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification.
We welcome you to submit your application for consideration and be part of the Town of Collingwood Team! To apply to this position, submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com quoting the Job # listed above. In the event you require an alternate method of submitting your application, please contact the Customer Service team by calling 705-445-1030. For more information on this position, please review the attached job description below.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicant Information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only for candidate selection. As an equal opportunity employer, The Town of Collingwood abides by all current legislation relating to individuals’ rights to employment under the Human Rights Code and Accessibility Standards.
The Town of Collingwood is committed to making our interview process fully accessible for people of all abilities. Accommodations will be provided upon request, to support candidates’ participation in all aspects of the recruitment process. If you are selected for an interview, please let us know if you require an accessibility accommodation.