Manager, Planning (Full-Time)
Reporting to the Director of Planning, Building & Economic Development, the Manager, Planning is accountable for the implementation of Provincial policies, the Regional Official Plan and the Town of Collingwood Official Plan primarily through the review and/or approval of development applications. The Manager leads a team of staff as the senior staff member overseeing the development review process and other matters of an interdisciplinary nature related to the Town’s planning function including policy-related or corporate projects. The position is responsible for effective program development and management through the ongoing advancement of broad staff expertise and knowledge necessary to ensure successful delivery of planning services in a dynamic development industry and policy environment. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of overseeing development review and policy implementation, and division administration functions.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Degree in Urban Planning, Environmental Studies or related discipline.
- Full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Ontario Professional Planners Institute
- Seven (7) years of significant progressive management experience in a municipal environment. Demonstrated professionalism, awareness, political acuity and responsiveness in communications.
- Thorough working knowledge of the Planning Act, Municipal Act, OLT processes and other provincial regulations affecting the land use planning field, sound planning principles and practices, development processes, urban design concepts, and local government functions/responsibilities.
- Excellent administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, analytical, problem-solving, report writing, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members. Demonstrated success in leading cohesive and motivated teams to meet corporate goals, objectives and initiatives.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment particularly when handling highly confidential/sensitive information. Possess a high level of initiative and personal integrity.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications, database management, and office equipment. Knowledge of CityView and GIS software an asset.
- Valid Class “G ” Driver's Licence and access to a reliable vehicle to use on corporate business. Ability and willingness to travel within the community and out of town as required.
- Possess Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the Employer and a valid standard first aid and CPR/AED Level C certificate (or willing to obtain).