Manager, Public Relations & Communications (Full-Time)
Hours of work:
35 per week, usually Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; flexibility in scheduling is necessary as there will be the requirement to attend to functions outside of normal work hours (including evenings, weekends or holidays) and/or work overtime as needed
Reporting to the Executive Director, Customer & Corporate Service, the Manager, Public Relations & Communications is responsible for communications, media relations, and management of corporate image, and is a general spokesperson for the municipality. The position develops communication strategies to engage the public, increase brand trust, and maintain positive relationships with media contacts. The Manager creates responses to reduce or eliminate inaccurate publicity, creates campaigns to highlight community characteristics and value propositions, collaborates with outside firms where necessary, and manages internal communications to ensure that the corporate identity, purpose, and values are understood by staff. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of external communications and internal communications.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Degree/diploma in Communications, PR, Journalism, or related discipline.
- Experience in emergency management as an Information Officer and/or Basic Emergency Management (BEM) certification preferred.
- Five (5) years related experience in a corporate communications role, preferably with a municipal government and specific experience in strategic corporate communications, issues management and media relations.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the role of local government and the context in which the municipality operates and the roles of Council and staff in this environment. Demonstrated sound political sensitivity and judgement and strong customer service focus.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, proficient expertise and experience in graphic design and English grammar. Demonstrated ability to communicate strategically and in a manner that builds understanding and commitment.
- Knowledge of project management techniques and ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Excellent administrative, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment particularly when handling highly confidential/sensitive information. Possess a high level of initiative and personal integrity.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications, social media, graphic design software, and office equipment.
- Valid Class “G” driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle to use on corporate business. Ability and willingness to travel within the community as required.
- Possess a current Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).