Outdoor Rink Operator (Contract)
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work are forty (40) hours per week on a rotating shift schedule that includes days, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Normal shifts are ten (10) hours with a thirty (30) minute unpaid meal break. Flexibility in scheduling is necessary as there will be the occasional requirement to change shifts, respond to urgent matters, or work extra hours as required.
Reporting to the Recreation Facilities Supervisor, Outdoor Rink Operators are responsible for performing custodial functions, maintenance and minor repair, ice maintenance, responding to queries and problems, opening and closing functions, ensuring the facility is clean and safe for users, and for providing exceptional customer service related to recreation facilities. The main duties and responsibilities for the position are in the areas of equipment and facilities maintenance, custodial functions, recreation facilities operations, supplies inventory, and building security.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent.
- Six (6) months of janitorial and/or minor building maintenance, refrigeration plant and/or general machine operation experience. Experience in painting, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and structural repairs.
- Possess or willing to obtain certification in Basic Refrigeration, WHMIS, Working at Heights, and ladder. Ability to operate ice resurfacing machine, tractor and ice edger.
- Ability to work independently, to lift up to 40 pounds, and to work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, applicable legislation, regulations, statutes, and departmental policies/procedures/practices and operational guidelines.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment. Possess high degree of initiative and personal integrity.
- Physically capable of performing the required functions of the position (e.g., standing, walking, skating, lifting, pushing, pulling), operating cleaning equipment, working in an cold environment (outdoors, arena) and wearing the applicable personal protective equipment (e.g., respirator, harness).
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications and office equipment.
- Willing and available to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Valid Class “G” driver’s license and current Driver’s Abstract with results satisfactory to the Employer. Ability and willingness to travel within the community as required.
- Possess a current Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification.