Public Services Clerk (Part-Time)
Job type: Permanent Part-Time
Reporting to the Supervisor, Public Services, the Public Services Clerk contributes to the overall effectiveness of the Library by providing direct customer service to patrons. The position promptly responds to patrons in a courteous and professional manner through a variety of methods (e.g. in person, by telephone, email, etc.); performs a variety of circulation desk routines including checking in/out books and materials, establishing memberships, directing patrons to appropriate departments as required; and, promotes and supports library services, operations (e.g., interlibrary loan) and events. Main duties and responsibilities include circulation, public services and general library support.
Experience and Qualifications:
- OSSD plus one (1) of customer service or business-related experience required. Library related education or equivalent preferred (or willingness to pursue same).
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and communication skills, together with the ability to multi-task. Must be a team player.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
- Familiarity with office equipment including cash register, debit machine, fax, photocopier and laminator.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the general public, all staff, other government / agencies / libraries, community groups.
- Ability to demonstrate tact and discretion in handling matters of a confidential nature, and to maintain confidentiality. Familiarity with the Municipal Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act. Ability to cope with interruptions, exercise discretion and good judgment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS and all provincial legislation and policies that affect libraries.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the community as required.
- Possess Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the Employer and a valid standard first aid and CPR/AED Level C certificate (or willing to obtain).