Public Services Clerk (Part-Time)
Reporting to the Supervisor, Public Services, the Public Services Clerk contributes to the overall effectiveness of the Library by providing direct customer service to patrons. The position promptly responds to patrons in a courteous and professional manner through a variety of methods (e.g. in person, by telephone, email, etc.); performs a variety of circulation desk routines including checking in/out books and materials, establishing memberships, directing patrons to appropriate departments as required; and, promotes and supports library services, operations (e.g., interlibrary loan) and events. Main duties and responsibilities include circulation, public services and general library support.
Experience and Qualifications:
- OSSD or equivalent. Courses in library-related discipline, or willingness to enroll, an asset.
- Certification in Mental Health First Aid, or willingness to obtain, an asset.
- Six (6) months of related experience in customer service or business.
- Familiarity with social service agencies, emergency services and referral procedures. Familiarity with the community and outlying areas an asset.
- Good administrative, communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and public relations skills, together with the ability to use tact and discretion and to deal courteously and effectively with the public and fellow staff members.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with interruptions and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, exercise discretion and good judgment particularly when handling highly confidential/sensitive information. Possess initiative and integrity.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications and office equipment.
- Possess a current Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the employer, and a valid standard first aid & CPR/AED Level C certification (or willing to obtain).