Hours of work:
Thirty-five (35) hours per week including day, afternoon, evening or weekend shifts; flexibility in scheduling is necessary as there may be the occasional requirement to change shifts depending upon meeting schedules, adjust hours, attend to functions outside of normal work hours, and/or to work overtime as needed.
Reporting to the Clerk, the Recording Secretary provides confidential secretariat functions, which include: generating agendas, recording and producing minutes for Council, Boards, Standing Committees and various advisory committees; providing procedural advice as required; and, secretarial and administrative support to the Clerk’s Office. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of meeting functions and other departmental functions.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Office Administration or Business Diploma, together with business related, meeting management courses and six (6) months’ of related experience or an equivalent combination.
- Excellent minute taking and transcription skills; communication, organizational, time management, interpersonal, public relations and customer service skills.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn parliamentary procedures.
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office applications and office equipment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise tact, and deal effectively with members of various committees and the public.
- Experience with electronic meeting management software, such as iCompass, is an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of Council/Committee protocol and municipal functions, current local/corporate/regional issues, and other government processes and functions, as well as that of other local agencies/boards that are closely involved with the Town.
- Valid Class ‘G’ Driver’s license in good standing and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
- Possess Criminal Records & Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) with results satisfactory to the Employer and a valid standard first aid and CPR/AED Level C certificate (or willing to obtain).