Rink Helpers (Part-Time Students)
Reporting to the Supervisor, Recreation Facilities, Rink Helpers assist Facility Attendants with custodial functions, ensuring the arena facilities are clean and safe for users, and respond to patron inquiries in a welcoming and friendly manner. Physical demands require the ability to bend, lift, mop, vacuum, sweep and shovel.
Main duties and responsibilities are in the areas of cleaning and arena operations. Cleaning duties include: maintaining and ensuring a clean and safe arena facility, which includes daily cleaning of washrooms, change rooms, meeting rooms and windows, sweeping and mopping floors, and emptying and collecting garbage; patrolling facility to ensure a safe environment is maintained throughout and reporting any significant issues that he/she cannot address to the Facility Attendant; and, notifying the Facility Attendant when supplies are low. Arena operations duties include: maintaining current knowledge of scheduled activities and events; assisting facility staff with maintenance of ice (e.g., shovelling, moving nets, etc.); ensuring facility staff are notified of accidents and contacting appropriate emergency services as directed; assisting with opening/closing duties which includes removing snow from all entrances and exits and end of shift security checks; and, assisting during special events, including equipment and material set ups and tear downs.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Completion of a minimum of one (1) year of secondary education; an appreciation for arena sports would be an asset.
- Good interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills, ability to work constructively in a team environment or act independently as required, and to deal effectively and courteously in all aspects of the position.
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position (e.g., standing, walking, lifting, pushing, pulling), including ability to cope with a cold environment, and operate cleaning equipment.
- Possess Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check satisfactory to the Employer and a standard first aid and CPR/AED level C certificate.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays.