Sailing Instructor – Recreation Services (4 Seasonal)
Reporting to the Community Recreation Manager, Sailing Instructors are responsible for teaching and facilitating the learning of theory and seamanship with both theory lessons and on-water drills as mandated by the CANSail Instructor Certification. Instructors are responsible for the students’ safety and monitoring of the equipment; participation in all staff training is required. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of coaching, instructing, administrative work, and general maintenance.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum grade 10 (preferably OSSD or equivalent), together with six (6) months experience in sailing instruction preferred
- Currently certified in CANSail Instructor 1 & 2. CANSail Instructor 3 & 4 or higher an asset.
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR/AED Level “C” certificate.
- Hold a Sail Canada Coach Boat Safety certification or equivalent.
- Valid Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card.
- Registered and paid instructor dues with SailCanada for current year.
- Maintain ‘Certified’ status with Canada’s National Coach Certification Program (NCCP).
- VHS radio license an asset.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; understand and effectively carry out oral and written instruction.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Deal effectively with the public and staff.
- Comfortable with teaching and supervising young students (age 8 and older).
- Possess the ability to maintain docks and surrounding areas in a neat and orderly manner.
- Sound knowledge of current sailing techniques and applicable safety regulations.
- Working knowledge of departmental policies, procedures and standards.
- Possess Vulnerable Sector check with results satisfactory to the Employer.