Truck Driver/Labourer (Regular)
Reporting to the Public Works Supervisor, Truck Driver/Labourers are responsible for operating light or medium duty truck and for performing generally unskilled labour related to road construction and maintenance, sidewalk and road surfaces, sign maintenance, tree removal and trimming, sewer activities in such areas as drainage systems, maintenance and installation, etc. The position maintains equipment including grease, oil and minor repairs. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are in the areas of street and road maintenance, snow removal/ice control, capital projects, and other.
Experience and Qualifications:
- OSSD or equivalent with one (1) year experience as a Truck Driver or combination of education and experience in roads/winter control operations and maintenance activities, plus completion of several provincially sponsored courses in municipal roads maintenance and traffic control.
- Ability to operate a truck, post-hole digger/auger, farm tractor, and other power hand equipment; ability to acquire Chainsaw Operator’s Safety Certificate, Trench Safety and Confined Space Entry.
- Thorough working knowledge of roadway marking and sign placement methods and associated provincial regulations, asphalt patching techniques, sidewalk and curb maintenance and repair, and sound safety practices; working knowledge of ditching/trenching, pipe installation, sod placement, sewer flushing and rodding, street cleaning and grass cutting procedures.
- Good organizational, record-keeping, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with members of the public and other departments and/or government contacts.
- Valid Class “DZ” driver’s license and current Driver’s Abstract with results satisfactory to the employer.
- Possess Police Information Check with results satisfactory to the Employer and a valid standard first aid and CPR/AED level “C” certificate.