2023 Municipal Budget: Upcoming Public Engagement Opportunities - Join the Conversation!
The Budget is one of the most important matters your elected Council will decide, and your input is paramount to ensuring Council is aware of what is most important to residents and property owners in how their tax dollars are spent.
The Town conducted a public survey between August 12th and September 27th to gather input from property owners and residents on how the Town should spend their tax dollars in 2023, which resulted in 341 responses.
“Although, this survey was not statistically significant it can help both Council and Staff determine where there are areas of major concern and/or confirm the direction for the annual budget process,” says Treasurer, Monica Quinlan. “We hope more residents will follow along with the budget process and participate by providing their input at one or more of the many opportunities for public engagement.”
The focus for 2023 is to continue to strive towards the goals and objectives that align with the over-arching Community Based Strategic Plan, Continuous Improvements and Departmental Master Plans.
There are multiple opportunities to continue to provide input on the 2023 draft budget.
Upcoming public meetings and public engagement opportunities include:
- November 23, 2022 - Special Strategic Initiatives Committee Meeting (2:00 p.m.): The first Draft of the 2023 Municipal Budget will be presented to members of Council.
- November 28, 2022 - Coffee with Council (virtual and in-person sessions): These public meetings will include a short presentation from the Treasurer and provide an opportunity for the public to speak and share ideas with members of Council and senior staff. A virtual session will be held from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. and an in-person session will be held from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. in the FreeSchools Room, Collingwood Public Library. A link for the virtual session will be posted on https://engage.collingwood.ca/2023-municipal-budget-join-the-conversation on November 28.
- December 5, 2022 - Strategic Initiatives Committee Meeting (2:00 p.m.): The Treasurer will present the 2nd Draft of the Budget and a summary of the public responses received.
- December 14, 2022 - Special Strategic Initiatives Committee Meeting (2:00 p.m.): The Treasurer will present the 3rd Draft of the Budget.
- January 9, 2022 - Strategic Initiatives Committee Meeting (2:00 p.m.): The Treasurer will present the 4th Draft of the Budget.
- Date for Final Budget Approval - TBD
Each year municipalities are faced with the challenge of creating a balanced budget. A municipality can take on debt to pay for large capital acquisitions, however it must ensure that there is enough money to fund day-to-day operations. To balance the budget, a careful analysis must be done regarding the programs and levels of service required to meet the needs of the community and the realistic taxation and user fee levels.
The goal of a good budget is to run the municipality well, including professional staff to provide recommendations and advise to Council to set the Town on the right path forward for the future.
We want to hear from you! Tell us what your thoughts are on the Budget! Get Involved and follow along: https://engage.collingwood.ca/2023-municipal-budget-join-the-conversation