Council Highlights - Wednesday, April 8, 2020
April 9, 2020
The Rogers TV broadcast of this meeting will be available online at rogerstv.com.
- Council provided recognition to the Collingwood Public Library for programming offered during COVID-19; thanked Public Works, and front-line workers for their continued service; reported on community events; and advised of the Collingwood Together volunteer database.
- Mayor Saunderson reiterated the provincial health orders to stay home, and practice social distancing, noting the first death reported in Collingwood due to COVID-19; thanked residents for the community outreach, and advised of the need at the Hospital and Senior Citizen homes; provided recognition to local businesses who have retooled to fill needs during the pandemic; and advised of a resident's passing.
- Mayor Saunderson advised two submissions were submitted in writing regarding Staff Report CAO2020-03 after the agenda was published. Mayor Saunderson summarized the comments received as were circulated to all Council. Comments provided include:
- Mr. John Megarry, Collingwood resident, expressed concerns with the 6 month, no interest loan program the Town is recommending to Council for local businesses.
- Mr. Paul Izdebski, Beer Bus owner, informed Council of the financial and economic impact the pandemic has had on small businesses and expressed support for the proposed Town loan program.
COVID-19 Municipal Response Update
- CAO Amin CAO Fareed Amin provided an update to measures taken with respect to COVID-19; reviewed Collingwood's actions to date; ongoing support to local businesses; emergency preparedness measures; reviewed the proposed terms of reference for the Economic Support and Recovery Task Force; further relief measures for councils consideration; and reviewed the top questions and concerns being expressed by the public to staff and council.
- Council received the Staff Report on Economic and Other Relief Measures: Economic Support and Recovery Task Force
- Council approved the Economic Support and Recovery Task Force Terms of Reference.
- Council referred the recommended Economic and other Relief Measures back to Staff and the Economic Support and Recovery Task Force for further review and investigation.
Notice of Motion
- Councillor Hamlin acknowledged the tributes to front-line workers already occurring in our community and proposed that Council endorse the May 24 National Tribute to front-line workers.
- Deputy Mayor Hull advised four landfill sites have re-opened in Simcoe County; no changes have been made to Route 4 bus schedule between Collingwood and Wasaga; and essential services continue to be provided. County Council will be meeting Tuesday, April 14 via Zoom video conferencing.
- Director Slama and John Velick, Manager Engineering Services, provided an update on Hurontario Street Sidewalk and Tree replacement project.
- CAO Amin provided an update on funds allocated to the Out of the Cold program, capital projects, and expenditures budgeted for 2020.
- Director Farr provided an update on update on collaboration with the OPP and Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit on encouraging social distancing and enforcing emergency orders.
- Councillors requested consideration for Hurontario Street closures to assist with business queuing, the provision of public internet, and the schedule for putting the 2020 Budget online
- Council approved $500 be provided out to each publicly funded high school from the contingency fund for their COVID-19 related needs for their food programs.
Agendas and Minutes are available online at: https://collingwood.civicweb.net