Smoke Alarms Save Lives
October 7, 2019
Fire & Emergency Services
What's The Risk?
- Homes today burn up to 8x faster than 50 years ago.
- You may have less than 60 seconds to escape a fire in your home.
- There was no smoke alarm warning in 1 out of 3 fatal home fires.
What Can Smoke Alarms Do?
- Only working smoke alarms give you the early warning you need to safely escape a fire.
- Smoke alarms can increase your chances of surviving a fire by up to 50%.
How Do I Protect My Family?
- Install smoke alarms on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas.
- For best protection, install smoke alarms in every bedroom.
- Test smoke alarms monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.
- Develop and practice a home fire escape plan.