New Zoning Certificate Approval Process Effective January 1, 2022
Preliminary review of the submitted plans to confirm zoning and applicable law compliance, allowing a complete application for a building permit.
- A zoning certificate is not required for any project that was the subject of a Planning Act application and development review.
- All zoning certificates expire one year from the date they are issued.
- To find zoning information for a specific property, use our interactive zoning map.
- Detailed review of a proposal intended for a future building permit application, to determine zoning compliance and confirm compliance with other applicable law.
- All drawings to be drawn on standardized sized sheets, drawn to scale, fully dimensioned, signed and dated.
- All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed Project Review Request must be submitted through the public portal.
Please provide a survey, if available.
A detailed site plan, fully dimensioned and showing adjacent properties and buildings including setbacks.
Floor plans, fully dimensioned indicating uses of all spaces.
Elevations and Cross-Sections
Applicable elevations and cross-sections.
See sample drawings.
The fee for a Zoning Certificate shall be $40.00 or 25% of the building permit fee - whichever is lower.
Building permits and other approvals may still be required.
- Foundation repairs
- Solid Fuel Burning Woodstoves and Fireplaces including chimney repairs
- Septic System Tank Replacement
- Repair to Retaining Wall
- Back Flow Prevention Devices
- Roof Top Solar Panels
- Interior renovation unless related to Change of Use or Accessory Apartment
- Fire/Smoke Alarms
- Roof Repairs unless change in height
- Window Replacement
- Water Meter Installation
- Projects that were the subject of a Planning Act application and development review
The following is the submission sequence:
1. Planning First/Zoning Certificate
- Apply for a Zoning Certificate through the Public Portal.
- You must register prior to using the Public Portal
- Follow the steps when completing your Zoning Certificate application.
- Credit card payment will be required to pay your fees
- When your application is successfully submitted through the Public Portal, the Zoning Technician will review your application and provide a status update on your application.
- You may also view the status under "My Items" on the Public Portal.
- Application review comments are provided during review to identify other applicable law approval requirements and approvals such at the Ministry of Transportation, County of Simcoe, or Conservation Authorities that will be required before your building permit can be issued. Authorities.
2. Complete Building Permit Submission
Submit a completed building permit application along with all required drawings, engineered lot grading details, an approved Zoning Certificate, and all certificates and approvals from any outside authorities.