Our Commitment To Sustainability
Sustainable Community Plan
Our Commitment to Sustainability
Collingwood is a town blessed by stunning natural amenities that has active and involved residents and staff. We protect our natural environment; contribute to a diverse and vibrant economy; and act in ways that enhance our community’s overall health and well-being through a social framework that encompasses the arts, culture, heritage and recreation.
Collingwood Core Principles of Sustainability
Principle 1: Provide a framework for sustainability in Collingwood.
Principle 2: Achieve a long-term economic and social viability.
Principle 3: Recognize the intrinsic values of biodiversity and natural ecosystems, and protect and
Principle 4: Encourage appropriate sustainable use of resources and technologies to minimize
environmental negative effects.
Principle 5: Recognize and build on the distinctive characteristics of Collingwood including
our human and cultural values, history and natural systems.
Principle 6: Expand and encourage regional cooperation to work toward a common, sustainable future.
Principle 7: Foster public awareness and participation to work toward a common, sustainable future.
Principle 8: Advance the understanding of Municipal Government on the need for accountability,
transparency and promotion of sustainable core values and principles.
Principle 9: Establish performance indicators and bench marks to be able to measure the
community’s progress towards sustainability.
Characteristics of a Sustainable Collingwood
Now, and in 40 years, we want Collingwood to be a community with an equal balance of the following characteristics:
- Strong municipal leadership and transparent governance structures;
- The ability to attract and retain a diverse and healthy mix of residents of all ages, genders and ethnicities;
- Meaningful and productive partnerships with other orders of government and stakeholders;
- Viable local employment options;
- Affordable and accessible opportunities for involvement in arts, culture and recreation activities;
- Clean air and water through reduced greenhouse gas emissions;
- Usable land from remediated brownfields;
- A valuable and memorable experience for visitors;
- A high degree of walkability and alternative modes of transport besides a single-use vehicle;
- Protected natural features and a compact urban form;
- A high degree of social cohesion and a common identity;
- Solid investments in infrastructure; and
- Affordable places to live.
We will achieve our vision by taking action and making decisions that support each of these six, inter-related goals:
- Protecting our land and natural environment
- Improving how we get around
- Minimizing resource use
- Strengthening our economy
- Enhancing our arts, cultural, heritage and recreation opportunities
- Reinforcing the importance of our community’s social framework
To achieve our vision of a sustainable community, we need to build upon the value-added services we provide to our community and ensure that sustainable decision-making is supported across the town. Therefore, we commit to incorporate the following considerations during the implementation of our plan:
- Thinking long term
- Making balanced decisions
- Reducing our ecological footprint
- Engaging residents
Considerations for Implementation
The SCP is meant to be a living document. The final section includes recommendations for:
- Integrating the sustainability framework into the day-to-day functioning of the municipality;
- Continuing the Sustainability Committee;
- Building partnerships; and
- Ensuring continual review and renewal of the SCP.