Council Highlights - Monday, February 11, 2019
The Rogers TV broadcast of this meeting will be available online at rogerstv.com.
Mayor & Council encouraged residents to take part in the following events:
- Passage To Freedom: Secrets of the Underground Railroad display presented by Sheffield Park Black History & Cultural Museum at the Heritage Community Church all month.
- Family Day events at Central Park on Monday, February 18.
- Valentine’s Day at any of Collingwood’s fine establishments on Thursday, February 14.
- Coldest Night of the Year on Saturday, February 23. To register, donate, or volunteer, visit: https://cnoy.org/location/collingwood
- Council heard Staff and Developer presentations, as a well as public comments, on the Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre Proposed Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment. Discussion included such topics as roads, garbage, safety, storm-water, and environmental. The site plan application has been circulated. This Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment will come before Council on a future date.
Strategic Initiatives Standing Committee:
- Council receives a report that provides a starting point for Council and the public to discuss the use of the proceeds (approximately $15million) from the sale of assets. Options presented in the report include: debt management, Collingwood Terminals, “Spit” services, waterfront expansion, accommodation study (Public Works building and yards), internal loan funds, reserve funds, and legacy funds.
- Council approves the appointment of members to the Collingwood Libraries Board, the Committee of Adjustment/Property Standards Appeal Committee, and the Collingwood Police Services Board.
- Deputy Mayor Hull discusses intersection backlog, advanced greens, and future turning lanes at key intersections in Town.
- Mayor Saunderson discusses news of plastics problems in the great lakes and suggests strategies that discourage single-use plastics, like making water-bottle refilling stations readily available.
- The Provincial Review is on-going.
- Council defers discussion on the Collingwood Regional Airport Sale to a Special Committee Meeting on Wednesday, February 13.
Agendas and Minutes are available online at: https://collingwood.civicweb.net