The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario regulates Charitable Lottery Licensing for the province.
The Order in Council provides municipalities with licensing authority for:
- Bingo events, with prize boards of up to $5,500
- Media Bingo events with prizes of up to $5,500
- Break Open Tickets for local organizations
- Raffle lotteries for total prizes of $50,000 and under; and
- Bazaar lotteries which include: wheels of fortune with a maximum bet of $2.00, raffles not exceeding $500, and bingo events up to $500.
The courts have determined that the word 'charitable' refers to organizations which provide programs for:
- the relief of poverty
- the advancement of education
- the advancement of religion
- other charitable purposes beneficial to the community
To be eligible to apply for a charitable lottery licence with the Town of Collingwood your organization must have it's office/organization located in the Town of Collingwood and have been in existence for at least one year.
For a list of eligibility requirements please click on the Quick Guide below. The Quick Guide should be read in conjunction with the appropriate Terms and Conditions for the Lottery event you intend to apply for.
Organizations are required to have a Canadian dollar trust account(s) for lottery proceeds. Please click on the following link for further information: Trust Accounts.
What is needed to determine eligibility?
When your organization applies for a lottery licence, you must submit the following documents so the eligibility of the organization can be reviewed:
- Incorporation Papers (Letters Patent)
- Constitution and By-laws
- Notification of Charitable Registration (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency) (If applicable)
- The most recent Registered Charity Information Return & Public Information Return, as submitted to Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (if applicable)
- Financial Statement for previous fiscal year (audited, where applicable)
- Detailed outline of all programs/services provided in the previous year
- Detailed outline of all programs/service currently provided
- The current operating budget
- Current Listing of the Board of Directors
- Any other information that will assist in determining the charitable nature of the objects and purposes of your organization.
- The proposed use of lottery proceeds, (must be consistent with the primary objects and purposes of the organization and of a charitable nature consistent with at least one of the four classifications of charitable purposes: relief of poverty, advancement of education, advancement of religion, other charitable purposes beneficial to the community).
Any organization that obtains a lottery licence through the Town of Collingwood must submit a completed Lottery Report within 30 days of the expiry of the licence.
For further details regarding lottery licening within the Province of Ontario please visit
If you have an inquiries regarding eligibility and applying for a charitable lottery licence with the Town of Collingwood, please call the Clerk's Department (705) 445-1030 ext 3294.