Marriage Licence

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage!

To get married in Ontario you must first apply for a marriage licence.

The information below will assist you in completing the application process.

  1. Marriage Licences are issued by the Clerk's Department and the fee for the Licence is $130.00 payable by cash or debit only.
  2. The Marriage Licence Application (Form 3) must be completed, signed and dated by both applicants.
  3. At least one of the applicants to the proposed marriage must apply in person for the Marriage Licence.
  4. Bring 2 pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married.  One piece of identification must include your photo.
     Examples of government-issued identification:
     - government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
     - valid passport
     - record of immigrant landing
     - Canadian Citizenship Card
     - valid driver’s licence
     - valid Ontario Photo Card
  5. If either applicant has been divorced in Canada, we require:
    • The original or court-certified true copy of the Certificate of Divorce (Form 36B) or Decree Absolute. A Divorce Judgement is not acceptable.
    1. If you are unable to locate the required documentation, please contact the court where the divorce took place.
  6. For divorces issued outside of Canada:
    • Please refer to the link below 'Requirements Respecting Marriage in Ontario' and the section entitled 'Authorization'. If you have any questions, please contact the Clerk's Department at 705-445-1030 ext. 3221
  7. On the Form 3, your actual street/911 address is required (not PO Box or RR#)
  8. If either party lives on a CANADIAN ARMED FORCES BASE, please provide both room and barracks numbers.
  9. Form 3 requires the intended location where the ceremony will be performed, along with the Municipality (city, town/township) and County/District.
  10. The Marriage Licence is valid throughout Ontario for a period of three months from the date of issuance.
  11. At the time of issuance, the Clerk's Department will review the procedure regarding changing your name after getting married.
  12. A list of Wedding Officiants is available at the Clerk's office.
  13. You may apply for your Marriage Certificate after you are married by submitting a "Request for Marriage Certificate" to the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay or by applying online to the Service Ontario website:

Please see the links below for information/forms you can download from Service Ontario:

Once you are married, you can apply for your marriage certificate from the Registrar General. Please click on the following link to download the application.

Or to connect directly to the Service Ontario website to apply for your Marriage Certificate  online, click the following link:

*Marriage Licences may not be available same day and can take up to an hour to process, depending on staff availability. 

Civil Marriage Ceremonies:

The Town of Collingwood currently has two officiants who can perform civil marriage ceremonies on Fridays at Town Hall. The cost for an officiant to perform a ceremony is $225.00. Ceremonies are held in the Council Chambers and are intended for small civil marriage ceremonies.

For further information and/or to inquire about availability of an officiant, please call our office at 705-445-1030 ext. 3221 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.