We ensure compliance with the Town of Collingwood Responsible Pet Ownership By-law (By-law # 2012-016) and some provincial legislation
- In partnership with the Georgian Triangle Humane Society (GTHS), provide shelter and care to lost dogs
- Reunite lost dogs with their owners by administering an animal licensing program
- Provide emergency response service 24-hours a day
- Educate residents and visitors of animal related by-laws and statutes
- Work in partnership with other animal related organizations such as the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) in achieving compliance with applicable animal related legislation
- The Town of Collingwood does not control or provide any service for wildlife. If you would like to report a coyote sighting please visit our coyote sighting report form.
- Under the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law 2012-016, the Town requires that all dogs over the age of six (6) months be licenced on or before January 31st of each year. If you don’t licence your dog on or before January 31st the licence fee increases by $10.00
- The Town requires proof of a valid rabies vaccination at the time of licencing your dog(s)
- You are allowed a maximum of three (3) dogs within the Town of Collingwood
- You can obtain a licence by visiting:
Town Hall, 97 Hurontario Street, Collingwood
Tel: 705-445-1030 Ext. 3254
(Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
- Per dog - $36.00
- Per dog spayed/neutered or micro chipped (with documentation) - $26.00
- Per dog spayed/neutered and micro chipped (with documentation) - $20.00
- Lifetime Dog Tag (non-refundable, non-transferable) - $150.00
*** A $10.00 surcharge will apply to all fees after March 1 ***
- The Town of Collingwood now uses the Georgian Triangle Humane Society for our Shelter / Pound Services
- Any dog(s) picked up within Collingwood by our Animal Control Officers, where an owner cannot be located or contacted to immediately pick up their dog, the dog will be taken to the Georgian Triangle Humane Society located at:
The Georgian Triangle Humane Society
549 10th Line
Dogs maybe claimed upon arrangement according to the following schedule:
Monday to Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
CLOSED on Statutory holidays
- To determine if your dog has been taken to the pound please contact the Animal Control Department at 705-445-1030 Ext. 3254
- The Town of Collingwood has an impoundment charge of $75.00. Therefore, if your dog is picked up by Town staff for running at large and is taken to the pound, a pick-up charge and impoundment charge would apply in addition to any fees assessed by the pound keeper.
All dogs on Collingwood trails and in Collingwood parks must be leashed.
Under the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law, dogs on Town trails or parks are required to be leashed at all times. Unleashed dogs can cause injury to other park and trail users, including other dogs, and may also cause apprehension in other dogs and dog owners when approaching an unfamiliar, unleashed dog.
The Town of Collingwood has three off-leash dog recreation areas where dogs are permitted to be off leash, subject to certain rules designed to keep all users safe.
Animal Control Officers patrol the parks and trails, and those found in contravention of the By-law could face fines up to $240.
For more information on Collingwood’s Responsible Pet Ownership By-law, please call 705-445-9334.