Excessive noise can cause disruptions and impact the peace and quiet of residents and visitors within the Town of Collingwood.

To resolve these disruptions and ensure all residents and visitors can enjoy our community, Municipal Law Enforcement Officers (MLEOs) investigate and enforce the Noise By-Law No. 2018-032 when complaints are received. For noise complaints of an extreme or ongoing nature outside by-law services operating hours, please contact the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) by calling 1-888-310-1122. 

General Noise

Enforcement can occur on any activity that creates noise that is likely to disturb the inhabitants of the Town such as yelling, loud music, home occupations and unnecessary noise from stationary vehicles (i.e., revving engines).

Noise Exemption 

An application for relief from the Noise By-law can be submitted to the Clerks Department for consideration. Significant requests and events may be referred to Council for approval.

Please Note: Noise exemption requests for events on public or private property must submit an application (using the form below) at least thirty (30) days prior to the event date.

Please refer to the application for instructions and additional details. 

Noise Exemption Application Instructions

Events/Sound Amplification (e.g., Outdoor Speakers)

The operation of speakers and other sound amplification equipment outdoors, including at events, is prohibited at night, specifically between the following hours:

  • 9:00PM to 8:00AM (the next day) Sunday to Thursday
  • 11:00PM to 8:00AM (the next day) Friday and Saturday

During the prohibited hours, all speakers and other sound amplification equipment being used outdoors must be turned off unless an exemption request has been applied for and been approved by the Town.    

Individuals looking to request a noise exemption to operate speakers and other sound amplification equipment outdoors, including at events, on public or private property during the prohibited times must submit an application at least 30 days prior to the event date.

Events/Sound Amplification Noise Exemption Application

Construction Noise

Noise due to construction activities is permitted during the following established time periods:

  • Domestic or homeowner construction equipment noise

7:00 AM to 7:00 PM Monday to Friday
8:00 AM to 6:00 PM Saturday/Sunday/Holidays

  • General construction equipment noise

7:00 AM to 7:00 PM Monday to Friday
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Saturday
(Prohibited Sundays & Holidays)

  • Construction equipment noise from “site alteration” activities on “active development” sites

7:00 AM to 7:00 PM Monday to Friday
(Prohibited Saturday/Sunday/Holidays)

Construction Noise Exemption Application

Property Maintenance 

The use of Property Maintenance Tools (e.g., lawn mowers, electric trimmers, power washers, etc.) is restricted to the hours of 7:00AM to 9:00PM daily. However, please always be mindful of your neighbours.

Property Maintenance Noise Exemption Application

Other Noise

Some other noises are regulated by specific by-laws, such as the discharge of firearms, setting off fireworks and barking dogs.

General Exceptions

Community Events
Throughout the year the Town approves a number of special events such as parades, concerts in parks and festivals. Noise from these events is inevitable, however Town organizers will endeavour to mitigate the impact of the event on nearby residents.

This by-law does not apply to any noise resulting from persons, vehicles, or machinery during an emergency.

Snow Removal
Given the importance and necessity of clearing and removing snow in a timely manner, there are no noise restrictions in place for snow removal activities on private or public property.

How To Report A Problem

Document Incident(s)
It is important to document the date and time of the noise incident as well as the duration and intensity of noise you experienced. In some situations (i.e., a barking dog), you may be asked to keep a log of the noise as this will assist officers in establishing the violation.

File a complaint
Please submit a compliant via our online Public Portal (https://cvportal.collingwood.ca/portal) or contact the By-law Enforcement Department using the information below.

Alternatively, if the noise is serious or continuous you may contact the Ontario Provincial Police.

Attend Court
If noise issues cannot be resolved, you may be asked to attend court to appear as a witness to the noise for the Town’s prosecution.

Department Information

Hours of Operation: Monday - Saturday: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Location: 97 Hurontario St., P.O. Box 157, Collingwood, Ontario L9Y 3Z5
Phone: 705-445-1030 ext. 3256
Email: bylaw@collingwood.ca