Snowmobiling on Collingwood Trails & Roads
Snowmobiling is a popular winter activity in Ontario. Please take notice that the Town of Collingwood and the Ministry of Transportation have rules and regulations for snowmobiling in Town. Please also remember that there are risks to consider every time you head out. Knowing how to prepare and operate your vehicle safely will help make sure you have a safe and fun ride.
In the Town of Collingwood, snowmobiles are permitted on specific identified trails expressly for the purpose of accessing Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) trails out of town under Bylaw 2015-095.
- Trails not identified for snowmobile use under the Bylaw are prohibited from use by snowmobile drivers.
- The speed limit on these designated Town trails is 20km/h max.
- Snowmobiles are required to defer to pedestrian traffic on trails at all times.
The OPP will enforce the Town Bylaw with substantial fines for offenders.
Also in the Town of Collingwood:
- Snowmobiles are not permitted on Town sidewalks (except when crossing over a sidewalk).
- Snowmobiles cannot be operated in Town between 12:00 AM and 7:00 AM.
- Snowmobiles cannot be operated along any highway or part of any highway (except when crossing over a highway).
- Snowmobiles cannot be operated on any pedestrian walkway, open space area, municipal park, or trail within the Town (except as recognized and posted as a permitted snowmobile trail).
- Noise enforcement can occur for any activity that creates noise likely to disturb the inhabitants of the Town. Please respect your neighbourhood.
Please use extreme caution when snowmobiling near waterways and Georgian Bay. Drivers and passengers must always wear a snowmobile helmet that meets Ministry of Transportation standards.
The Ministry of Transportation has further driver and licensing requirements and provides information on where to ride and the rules of the road.
The OPP have a Reporting Tool that helps them be more effective in effecting a “zero-tolerance” policy with respect to snowmobiles speeding and/or trespassing.