Supporting Responsible Pet Ownership in Collingwood
The Town’s Responsible Pet Ownership By-law helps to ensure all pets live in a safe environment with their owners and members of our community within Collingwood.
We advocate responsible pet ownership through four principles:
Ensuring physical care of animals, socialization and medical attention for pets
Licensing and registration to provide permanent identification for dogs
Spay or neuter pets to control the pet population
Not allowing pets to become a threat or nuisance in our community
Animal Control services includes:
- Reuniting lost dogs with their owners by administering the dog licensing program
- Providing 24 hour emergency response service
- Responding to dog bite and aggressive dog concern
- Educating members of our community of animal related by-laws and statutes
- Working in partnership with other animal related organizations such as the Georgian Triangle Humane Society, provincial inspectors from Ontario's Animal Protection Agency and local veterinarians.
Running at Large
Dogs and cats are not permitted to be at large – meaning they are not permitted to be straying or roaming off the owner’s property. The Town of Collingwood has three off-leash dog recreation areas where dogs are permitted to be off leash, subject to certain rules designed to keep all users safe.
Dogs must be on a leash at all times unless on the owner’s property or at a designated leash-free dog park.
You must pick up and dispose of any excrement left by your pet on any property, including your own.
Dogs that disturb an individual’s peace and quiet by barking or howling are monitored by By-law Enforcement
Any dog that bites or attacks a person or domestic animal may be declared a biting or potentially dangerous dog.
Under the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law 2012-016:
- All dogs within Collingwood over the age of six (6) months shall be licensed on or before January 31st of each year.
- Licence fees increase by $10.00 after January 31st
- You are allowed a maximum of three (3) dogs within the Town of Collingwood
To Obtain a Dog Licence:
- Complete the 2020 Dog Licence Renewal and Order Form
- Provide proof of a valid rabies vaccination at the time of licensing your dog(s)
- Visit Town Hall and submit your Dog Licence Renewal Form along with the rabies vaccination documentation and pay the applicable fee(s):
Town Hall, 97 Hurontario Street, Collingwood
Tel: 705-445-1030 Ext. 3254
(Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
2019 Licence Fees
** A $10.00 surcharge will apply to all fees after March 1 **
|For Each Dog|
|For Each Dog: spayed/neutered or micro chipped (with documentation)||$26.00|
|For Each Dog: spayed/neutered and micro chipped (with documentation)||$20.00|
|New Dog After July 1st||$20.00|
|Lifetime Dog Tag (non-refundable, non-transferable)||$150.00|
|Service Dog||No Charge|
|Impoundment Fee: Dog wearing current Town tag|
|First Occurrence - Picked up within 24 hrs.||No Charge|
|First Occurrence - Picked up after 24 hrs.||$78.00|
|Impoundment Fee: Dog NOT wearing current Town tag|
|Surrender of Cat (GTHS & Admin Fee)||$78.00|
|Surrender of Dog (GTHS & Admin Fee)||$132.00|
|Pick up and drop of dog running at large||$53.00|
|Georgian Triangle Humane Society Boarding Fee||$31.00|
The Town of Collingwood partners with the Georgian Triangle Humane Society for our Shelter / Pound Services.
- Any dog(s) picked up within Collingwood by our Animal Control Officers, where an owner cannot be located or contacted to immediately pick up their dog, the dog will be taken to the Georgian Triangle Humane Society located at:
Georgian Triangle Humane Society
549 10th Line
Dogs maybe claimed upon arrangement according to the following schedule:
Monday to Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
CLOSED on Statutory holidays
- To determine if your dog has been taken to the pound please contact By-law Services: at 705-445-1030 Ext. 3254
- Where your cat or dog is picked up by Town staff for running at large and is taken to the shelter/pound, a pick-up charge and impoundment charge will apply in addition to any fees assessed by the pound keeper.